South Carolina Senior Women's Golf Association
Membership Information & History
S.C. Senior W.G.A. Membership Information
This Association is composed of 400 Regular Members and Special Categories. These categories include Honorary Members, Past Presidents, Charter Members, Super Seniors and Associate Members. Any woman amateur golfer, who has reached the age of 50 years, is a legal resident of the State for at least six months each year, and holds a current USGA Handicap Card is eligible for membership subject to the Membership Committee procedure. Six month residents may play in any one-day tournament. Only full time South Carolina residents may play in the Championship Tournament.
REGULAR MEMBERS Composed of 400 members at all times. Pay annual dues and meet attendance requirement of one tournament during the year.
HONORARY Former Regular Members who are now members of the S.C. Golf Hall of Fame. Pay no dues and do not have to meet attendance requirements.
PAST PRESIDENTS Members who have served as President of S.C.S.W.G.A. Pay annual dues and do not have to meet attendance requirements. They receive automatic entry into all tournaments
CHARTER Members who drew up and signed the original Charter at the inaugural meeting on April 27, 1970. Pay annual dues and do not have to meet attendance requirements.
SUPER SENIORS Members who have reached their 70th birthday. Pay annual dues and do not have to meet attendance requirements.
LEGENDS Members who have reached their 80th birthday. Pay annual dues and do not have to meet attendance requirments.
ASSOCIATE Members in good standing for 5 years who can no longer compete. Pay annual dues. They are non-voting social members.
WAITING LIST Women golfers who are eligible and desire membership in S.C.S.W.G.A. may submit an application to the Membership Chairman. If it is received after the deadline for inclusion in the Handbook, her name is then placed on the Waiting List for one year only. No dues are paid at that time. At the end of the year she will be sent a notice inviting her to become a Regular Member depending on membership totals. Dues are paid at that time.
From 1964 to 1970, women golfers in South Carolina who had reached the age of “wisdom and distinction” (50 years) competed in the Senior Division of the Women’s South Carolina Golf Association annual championships. This was the only senior women’s event in the State at that time.
In 1970, a move began within the W.S.C.G.A. to set up an entirely separate organization that would enable more senior women to participate in an annual championship and, as the proposed constitution put it, ...”to encourage friendly golf competition and good fellowship among senior players…” On April 27th that year, Jane Covington presided at a special meeting held at Forest Lake Club, Columbia for the purpose of organizing the South Carolina Senior Women’s Golf Association. The Constitution, By-Laws and Tournament Regulations were adopted and signed by 59 Charter Members from 19 W.S.C.G.A. clubs. (These 59 Charter Members are listed below.) Officers were elected:
President Georgia Hart President Elect Ann Albergotti
Secretary Marie Kessler Treasurer Jean Clark
Members-at-Large Addie Chapman, Polly Hitchcock, Annette Roddey, Becky Becker
Meeting in June and September, this Board immediately made plans for the first Annual Championship and Meeting of the South Carolina Senior Women’s Golf Association, which was held at the Country Club of Charleston on October 27, 1970. The Seal of the South Carolina Senior Women’s Golf Association, which Marie Kessler had so beautifully designed, was presented. In moving that the Seal be adopted, Annette Roddey added, “…with the clear understanding that lavender and old lace never be incorporated in its design.” The motion was carried!
As the founders of the South Carolina Senior Women’s Golf Association intended for its members, friendly competition and good fellowship abound and enthusiasm for this incredible game has never been greater!
Charter Members are those who signed the Charter at the inaugural meeting on April 27, 1970
1. Ann Albergotti Forest Lake Country Club
2. Majorie Allan Columbia Country Club
3. Mae Anderson Dunes Golf & Beach Club
4. Ruby M. Anderson Anderson Country Club
5. Becky Becker Surf Golf & Beach Club
6. Rose F. Berry Columbia Country Club
7. Ann C. Boinest Forest Lake Country Club
8. Emilie C. Caughman Forest Lake Country Club
9. Addie Chapman Anderson Country Club
10. Jean C. Clark Orangeburg Country Club
11. Fran Cody Lan-Yair Country Club
12. Georganne L. Coker Midland Valley Country Club
13. Doris Collar Columbia Country Club
14. Dot Council Orangeburg Country Club
15. Carolyn Cudone Dunes Golf & Beach Club
16. Jackie DeBruhl Columbia Country Club
17. Doris Edwards Forest Lake Country Club
18. Mary Ann Emens Columbia Country Club
19. Virginia H. Etherridge Midland Valley Country Club
20. Eleanor W. Gordon Rock Hill Golf Club
21. Genola Hall Fort Mill Country Club
22. Georgia Hart Forest Lake Country Club
23. Patsy Hinnant Columbia Country Club
24. Polly Hitchcock Spartanburg Country Club
25. Agnes P. Hoffman Midland Valley Country Club
26. Barbara B. Hoffman Fort Jackson Golf Club
27 Helen Huckabee Florence Country Club
28. Lois C. Jones Columbia Country Club
29. Marie Kessler Greenville Country Club
30. Ruth M. Kronrad Fort Jackson Golf Club
31. Frances Leitner Fort Mill Golf Club
32. Mildred Linton Forest Lake Country Club
33. Ruth Love Columbia Country Club
34. Nora Arnold Mabry Greenwood Country Club
35. Jo Marchant Foothills Country Club
36. Edna A. Mauger Columbia Country Club
37. Nell M. McKane Midland Valley Country Club
38. Dee Molan Fort Jackson Golf Club
39. Helen Odiorne Columbia Country Club
40. Maggie Phillips Fort Jackson Golf Club
41. Nell W. Phillips Columbia Country Club
42 Ada Lee Pleasants Spring Valley Country Club
43. Charlotte S. Praete Columbia Country Club
44. Carrie Pregnall Columbia Country Club
45. Grace L. Robertson Fort Mill Golf Club
46. Annette Roddey Sunset Country Club
47. Irene Adger Scott Forest Lake Country Club
48. Emily T. Scurry Forest Lake Country Club
49. Mildred M. Simmons Greenwood Country Club
50. Fanny Sorrell Columbia Country Club
51. Ruth Stubblefield Greenwood Country Club
52. Evelyn Surasky Midland Valley Country Club
53. Frances Taylor Fort Mill Golf Club
54. Virginia Taylor Columbia Country Club
55. Neoma N. Tobias Forest Lake Country Club
56. Tina Trotter Spring Valley Country Club
57. Emmie D. Trulick Orangeburg Country Club
58. Camille Winters Columbia Country Club
59. Ruth F. Woolfe Camden Country Club